The food engineer carries out the processes of producing, packaging, transporting foods in accordance with the rules and ensuring hygiene requirements. Food engineer; performs interdisciplinary studies in cooperation with other fields such as chemistry, physics and microbiology.
What Does a Food Engineer Do? What are their Duties and Responsibilities?
The food engineer can work in a wide variety of settings, including the restaurant, factory, catering company, laboratory and office. The professional responsibilities of the food engineer vary greatly according to the sector he works in, but basically he has the following duties;
- To create new techniques for processing, packaging and preservation of foods,
- To ensure that hygiene and food safety standards are met,
- Testing, examining food samples and writing reports,
- Controlling the use of additives in food,
- Modifying and improving existing food production recipes,
- Developing new product ideas,
- Designing and implementing new equipment and systems for production,
- To evaluate production and performance,
- Evaluate existing equipment and systems,
- To determine the features and scope of the projects,
- Providing marketing and technical support for food manufacturing companies
How to Become a Food Engineer?
In order to become a food engineer, it is required to graduate from the Food Engineering department of universities with a bachelor's degree.
Features Required in a Food Engineer
The food engineer, who manages the processes that the food goes through until it is ready for consumption, is expected to be careful about the details and to be productive in terms of productivity-enhancing methods. Other qualifications that employers look for in a food engineer are;
- predisposition to teamwork,
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Have strong analytical and numerical skills,
- To be especially careful and meticulous about food hygiene and safety,
- Ability to work independently
- Having advanced organizational skills,
- No military obligation for male candidates.
Food Engineer Salaries 2022
As the food engineer progresses in their careers, the positions they work and the average salaries they receive are the lowest 5.520 TL, the average 8.170 TL, the highest 14.330 TL.