The Archivist is the public officer responsible for the identification of archival documents, the preservation and recording of documents that are archival or that will become archives in the future. Archive Officer can be employed in many public institutions such as state archives, central and provincial organization directorates and ministries.
What Does an Archivist Do? What are their Duties and Responsibilities?
The job description of the Archive Officer is determined by the regulation of the public institution to which he is affiliated. The general professional responsibilities of the Archivist, whose job description may differ depending on the institution he serves, are as follows;
- Purchasing archival materials outside of public institutions, if necessary,
- To record the received archive material,
- To record the documents dated Rumi and Hijri by converting them to Gregorian date,
- To take measures to prevent loss or damage to archival materials,
- Adjusting the ambient conditions against factors that will damage the archive material such as insects, humidity, high temperature,
- To ensure the restoration of damaged archive materials,
- To meet the requests of the employees of the institution to benefit from the archive,
- Destroying archival public institution materials that have expired,
- To prepare a report describing the archive activities at the end of each year and to present it to the relevant units such as the district governorship and governorship,
- Participating in seminars organized by the institution,
- Adhering to public institution information confidentiality
How to Become an Archivist?
To become an Archivist, it is necessary to fulfill the following requirements;
- Graduated from Information and Document Management, Documentation and Information, Archiving and related departments of universities,
- To take the Public Personnel Selection Examination and to reach the average score specified in the institution's staff announcement.
Required Qualities of Archiving Officer
- To have basic computer usage knowledge,
- Detail oriented work
- Having the physical ability to work indoors for a long time,
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills
- No military obligation for male candidates.
Archivist Salaries 2023
As they progress in their careers, the positions they work in and the average salaries of the Archivists are the lowest 11.060 TL, the average 13.820 TL, the highest 23.070 TL.